COPIAPÓ- “Los 33,” the film inspired by what happened to the 33 miners who were trapped in the North of Chile in the year 2010, is in the shooting stage and here are 15 facts about one of the most striking recent film projects.
1. A varied cast is included in this production, taking players from different nationalities such as Antonio Banderas and Spanish Mario Casas, Mexican Kate del Castillo, Brazilian Rodrigo Santoro, French Juliette Binoche, American Lou Diamond Phillips and Chilean Alejandro Goic, to name just a few.
2. “Los 33″ will show three lines of characters: the trapped miners, their families and those who rescued them.
3. As it is impossible that the stories of all of the 33 miners have roles in the film, it was determined that a few would be focused on: Mario Sepúlveda (Antonio Banderas), Álex Vega (Mario Casas) and Franklin Lobos (Alejandro Goic). Also, their families have become important. Kate del Castillo and Cote de Pablo play, respectively, the wives of Sepúlveda and Vega.
4. Before creating the script of the film, the miners met with the writers to tell about their lives and what they did during the 70 days were lived underground. Groups of two or three people came together with the film crew to go ahead giving life to this ambitious film project.
5. Mario Sepúlveda has a great bond with the production of “The 33″. In fact, he became close to his interpreter, Antonio Banderas. It is common to see it in several activities of this bet of the big screen. ‘Súper Mario’, have simply taken great affection within the film.
6. The film is being filmed in English and have Spanish sub-titles. However, the idea is that the entire cast speaks a more Chilean Spanish accented English and not American, so “The 33″ has a voice coach, who guides the cast members to achieve this goal. In the field of English, this is the first film in that language for Spanish actor Mario Casas.
7. The movie started filming at the end of last year. They first filmed all of the underground, i.e. mine, scenes in Colombia. Now in the desert of Atacama, near Copiapo, the rescue scenes are being filmed.
8. It was decided not to film at the San Jose mine, both for security reasons and for the current situation of the mine. Today it is a tourist attraction and many people visit it daily.
9. In an area of the Atacama desert near Copiapo they already began filming rescue scenes, mainly in night shifts. To do that the place was prepared for two months, in which a part was dynamited to a depth of six meters. There, a Phoenix capsule that was specially created for the film was inserted. The “Los 33″ capsule is two inches wider than the original so that the actors could get into it more comfortably.
10. Alejandro Goic was the first Chilean to sign onto “33″. It was the idea of Moira Miller and Alejandra Alaff, who were asked to do the casting for the film. And though at first he refused, he ended up yielding and now is one of the protagonists of the project.
11. At present the cast is housed in Copiapo, a city that is the center of the film. All members of the cast and crew have become very close and it is common to see them sharing animatedly after filming is finished for the day.
12. In order to give life to his role as the miner Álex Vega, Mario Casas had to drop a few pounds of weight. He admits that it was a little difficult to stop eating, especially at Christmas time.
13. With much of the cast foreign to Chile, some things have fascinated them, such as some Chilean wine and seafood products.
14. In addition to Alejandro Goic and Cote de Pablo, is likely that more Chilean actors will join the project. It has been contemplated that Cristián Campos and Paulina García might also join the cast.
15. Filming in the Copiapó area will continue until mid-March. The film will then enter a post-production process which will last 22 weeks. The premiere of “Los 33″ is intended for the month of November, although it could be delayed until early 2015. On that date there would be a premiere in both Los Angeles and another in Chile, which would be attended by the cast, headed by Antonio Banderas.